Candy's Reviews > Ravenous: A Food Lover's Journey from Obsession to Freedom

Ravenous by Dayna Macy

Jun 19, 11

Read from May 30 to June 14, 2011

Someone (I don't remember who, thanks to whomever it was!) recommended this book to me and I grabbed a copy of it. I will admit I was a bit hesitant. I read half of Eat Pray Love, which it kind of sounded like. I really didn't like that book, at all, not one bit.

This was similar, for sure, but also a little more realistic for the rest of us in the world that cannot take a year off and go off to points unknown. The author visits places she can drive to, during her off times at work or on the weekends. She visits with places she might actually be able to eat food from on a regular basis.

I loved the premise of this book. Understanding where your food comes. The good, the bad and the really ugly. I loved her bit about the olives. As a fellow olive freak, I feel her. The roughest part to read was the beef farm, but well, I mean, it happens and it was an important step in her journal. But it was tough.

I'm not sure if she really freed herself from anything and I'm not sure I would call this self help. So, if you're reading this to lose weight, you're reading the wrong book. But if you're reading to learn about the author's journey, you're reading the right one. I really enjoyed that part of it.

I also liked that the author kept it real. There's no BS in here that I saw. She isn't perfect, she doesn't know it all, she screws up. It also made me really think about where the food that I choose to eat comes from.

This book is great for those that love memoirs and for those that like to read foodie books. Well done!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ravenous.

message 1: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Thanks! I saw this book and wasn't sure if I wanted to read it, but now that I see your review it sounds like I might actually enjoy it. Food sourcing is something I'm a little tweaky about (read: obsessive) so having it couched in a memoir is probably better for me and my sanity. LOL

Candy It was very interesting and honestly, the author doesn't come off all snotty. I hate snotty food books. It's about a real woman's journey, wins and failures. SO well done.