Jeremy Preacher's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

1973239
May 30, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
I own a copy

I picked this up primed to think it was awesome, which is an awkward way to come to a book. It's pretty awesome, don't get me wrong - but it's awesome in the ways I expect an epic fantasy to be.

Prophecy/foreshadowing: This is one of its strengths, I think - that the whole meat of the story is a tale told by its protagonist, about whom we know only a little. Rothfuss uses the setup to influence the story in various ways - by revealing a new bit of present-tense knowledge, by talking about the protagonist's reputation, or by hinting that present-tense events are consequences of the as-yet-unrevealed backstory.

Orphan hero with remarkable talents: This volume focuses on the hero as a child/teenager, so the talents are clearly hints of what's to come, but again, the hindsight aspect keeps it from seeming too trivial.

World-threatening danger: This aspect, in hints and stories and legends, is probably my favorite part. I liked this book fine, but the next one's going to be awesome.

Intricate magic system: Great! I like the idea of "names" being a route to power - it's not a new concept but it's well-presented. One of the hard things about magic is making it seem sufficiently difficult (otherwise everyone would do it!) and making it an intellectual, rather than a physical or metaphysical, feat is neat.

So yeah, totally on board with this one.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.