the golden witch.'s Reviews > Eat Slay Love

Eat Slay Love by Jesse Petersen

Jul 15, 11

bookshelves: arc-galley, 2011, zombies, lol, best-of-11, happy-bacteria, reviewed, dystopia, ebook, net-galley
Read from July 06 to 12, 2011

(4.5/5 stars)

Okay, usually, I'm not for married couples-in-therapy as a big part of the plotline, but Petersen won me over from the very first page in the first book in this series, "Married with Zombies". From there it has only gotten better and better, especially with this third installment in the series. Throwing a few new characters into the mix has presented our Heroes with more problems, but we also have a somewhat happy end (as we wait for more books for the series) as a silver lining to an even more dangerous reality that has presented itself throughout the book.

The way Petersen handled all of her sub-arcs was masterful, and I'm impressed. I laughed so hard during the first book that I think I injured something, I got anxious and really emotionally connected with the characters during the second, and during this third book. The jokes only got funnier, and the drama more dramatic. I admire how Petersen is able to turn up the heat for her characters in their world without overdoing it, or without making it all a cliche. That's hard to do. So many books have tried and failed miserably, especially in this genre.

I'm trying to keep this review spoiler-free, but the new characters added were needed, and you'll see why by the end of this book. I'm glad they were inserted, even if at first I wanted to choke a certain new female character. This world feels more tangible than ever, more complete, and yet it's still a work in progress. It kind of rounds out the total mess that is the world After Zombie and I just keep waiting for Zanderson Snooper (heh, from book #2) to show up again (related to one of the characters in book three in terms of profession). In this book we get deeper emotional content, and the reader gets to feel the anxiety of living in this world, despite the joking and fun to be had. It's not only the most fun I've had reading a series in awhile, but also the most emotionally available content I've been able to hook into concerning couples and life in general as an adult. It's not easy for me to do any of that, so I applaud Petersen's talent for helping me do so.

I'm looking forward to a fourth book (there will be one, right? Right?), and you can bet that I'll be first in line to buy it. Petersen, you have a new diehard fan right here. So keep writing! The "Living with the Dead" series is one you definitely have you read this year, if you're going to start a new adult-targeted paranormal series, and that's why it's made my best of 2011 list.

Also, don't miss "Shambling with the Stars", the recent novella that was released, which happens at the same time as book #1. It's just as great and will leave you hankering for even more brains...er...zombie action.

(posted to librarything, goodreads, shelfari, and witchoftheatregoing.wordpress.com)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat Slay Love.

07/12/2011 page 89