T.'s Reviews > Midnight and the Meaning of Love

Midnight and the Meaning of Love by Sister Souljah

U 50x66
May 30, 11

Read in May, 2011

I thought it was a beautifully written story, artistic and full of fantasy. But I also thought Midnight was a bit of a snob religiously and culturally. I didn't like his very low opinions of American women and Americans in general. He carried himself as if he was better than "the rest". He was too good to be true and too good to even have a decent conversation (with eye contact) with the troubled Bangs, a character I wish Souljah would have matured and saved. I was also a bit uncomfortable with the teenage love-making scenes that the characters referred to as F-ing (how romantic). Interestingly, the honorable Midnight called his sexual organ his "joint", but constantly used the P word when referring to his women's pleasure spot. I'm sure he didn't read those words in the Koran!
All in all, interesting story. Worth reading and discussed. But enough of Midnight. His letters in CWE revealed too much about what happened to Umma and Naja. I wish Souljah would not have created such tragic experiences for the two.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight and the Meaning of Love.

Sierra Bamiro Yeah I'm left trying to bridge the gap between the events outlined in CWE and what we've learned so far in the two midnight book. Hopefully she's working on the follow up book