Kate's Reviews > Tender at the Bone: Growing Up at the Table

Tender at the Bone by Ruth Reichl

Mar 14, 08

bookshelves: cooking, nonfiction-bios
Read in March, 2008

I'm not sure how it happened, but i read this book in just two days...working weekdays i might add. It's been awhile since I had something I could easily just flip thru without straining to decipher the several layers bound into each sentence and so I found myself enjoying her easy but intelligent and unpretentious writing, loving her (sometimes curiously brief?) descriptions of food and cooking, and slowly but surely finding myself understanding her story as a bit more than just another paperback of the independant female finding her path thru food and travel and men.

I liked it when Francis Mayes included recipies in her books on Tuscany, and find that Reichl used this practice to even greater advantage because the recipies don't just match up with part of the story, they tell part of the story themselves--some are delicate and sophisticated, showing her knowledge and appreciation of "culinary sensuality."; others allow the reader to see that even a gourmet afficianado such as Reichl can appreciate the simplicity and heartiness of sturdy american cooking--coming from the Michigan myself, i really appreciated her nod to this area; and then some, such as her Mother's, I don't really want to believe were included for actual use, but rather as very creative/thematical (is that a word?) evidence of this woman's 50's inspired kitchen nightmares.

All said and done, this book was warm, smart, entertaining, and relatable...perhaps not classic material, but certainly worth picking up if you find yourself interested in the subject area.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tender at the Bone.