Imogen's Reviews > How Did You Get This Number

How Did You Get This Number by Sloane Crosley

May 31, 11

Read from May 30 to 31, 2011

I don't understand if I just share the author's sense of humor or if the other people who reviewed this book don't have a sense of humor at all, but I was absolutely entranced by Sloane Crosley.

It's been a while since I've read a funny book, and her short essays about things which happen to us all are poignantly hilarious because we can relate. We understand. And we laugh along with her as she makes mistakes. Like we all do. Except for the part where we cry about the baby bear.

With stories about the humiliating game "Girl Talk" and holding hands under bathroom stalls, Sloane incorporates movie references and song lyrics which fit all too well in her puzzle of Mad Hatter madness called life. "I was a good girl--but I did not love horses or Jesus and I'd burn America to the ground in exchange for a sliver of my former happiness."

This book has given me faith that you CAN write a witty book and still focus on the abstract. You can have your cake and eat it too. You can confess in Notre Dame to a father who only speaks French or Japanese. And you can laugh about it. Which is what we all really need, wouldn't you say?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Did You Get This Number.

05/30/2011 page 103

Lindsay Pietroluongo I agree! I love her writing and find her hilarious. After reading "I Was Told There'd Be Cake," I was pleasantly surprised that this book was just as good, if not even a little better.