Tim Niland's Reviews > Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings

Comfortable with Uncertainty by Pema Chödrön

251908
Jun 01, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads

This book takes a look a how we deal with our uncertain lives and times. Chodron is a Buddhist nun and she uses the teachings of Buddhism to illustrate her points throughout the book, which is actually excerpts of lectures she has given around the world. This is far from doctrinaire religion or self-help as possible, in fact she gently chides religious thinking as just another way for a person to escape from what is truly real and look for a "hand to hold" which isn't really there. The idea of waking up to the real world and truly understanding what is around you is her primary message. She also deals with self respect, compassion and the ability to develop patience and calm. I have some problems with obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety disorder (the things that explain the occasional lapses in blogging and my absence from the live music scene) and I thought if I could calm my mind, perhaps I could enjoy and reflect on the music even better and hopefully aid some of my symptoms in the process. One book cannon fix all ills, but I thought this book provided helpful and straightforward suggestions on ways to lessen the stress of everyday life without making any grand promises that cannot be fulfilled.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comfortable with Uncertainty.