Diane Majeske's Reviews > Evolution of Insanity

Evolution of Insanity by Haresh Daswani

May 30, 2011

I don't know author Haresh Daswani; I've never met him. But I bet that among his friends he's the storyteller, the one they wait for to liven up their nights, the one that can make any story seem interesting - from a trip to the grocery to a night out at the clubs.

This collection of short stories runs the gamut, from poignant to poetic to darkly humorous.

Daswani plays with words like a child plays with toys - each story is different, each character a surprise. He takes small moments and puts them under a microscope; he looks at life and questions why.

His perspective varies as well - from first person to second to third. There's some deep thoughts here, some solid creativity. But just when you think Daswani is taking himself too seriously, he throws in a wink and a nod to let you know he's not.

His characters are memorable - funny, sad, puzzled and argumentative - often finding themselves in fairly desperate straits.

I'll admit - this isn't the type of book I normally pick up - my books are usually far more straightforward whodunits and mysteries. But part of reading is expanding your comfort zone, trying new things. In this case, it was fun to try something new.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolution of Insanity.