Audrey's Reviews > The Consolation of Philosophy: Revised Edition

The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius

Jun 20, 11

bookshelves: classics, philosophy-theology-allegory, western-canon-group
Read from May 30 to June 17, 2011

At first, I really enjoyed this work. By the end, I got frustrated with the many logical holes that were obvious in an argument supposedly based entirely on logic. He based argument after argument on the idea that humans can't possibly comprehend God's reasoning, because human reasoning is fundamentally unlike divine reasoning. He then proceeded to smash all respect I had for him as a logician by basing another argument on an analogy between human and divine knowledge. If human knowledge is nothing like divine knowledge, then you can't use the human mind to extrapolate information about God's mind.

I also got annoyed with how Boethius the character kept exclaiming to Philosophy that her logic was completely unassailable and her conclusions the only ones that any reasonable person could possibly arrive at. I found this very tacky.

That said, I went ahead and gave it two stars instead of one, because it is valuable from a historical perspective. I found it a very enlightening and concise summary of early Christian theology. Reading it helped me see where Medieval Christianity came from, culturally speaking, and you can see echoes of it even in modern Christianity.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Consolation of Philosophy.