Echo's Reviews > Heat Wave

Heat Wave by Richard Castle

May 30, 11

bookshelves: books-in-11, mystery
Read in May, 2011

I'm sort of torn about this book. I love the idea of reading something written by "Castle." It makes me feel like I'm immersing myself into the show. The thing is, the characters are so obviously the characters from the show with new names, it's obvious the book is something Castle would never actually write, so except for the author interview and acknowledgments in the back of the book, the book itself didn't actually FEEL like it was written by Castle. But on the other hand, I'm very attached to the characters, so it was nice to have that level of familiarity (they often dropped one-liners or had mannerisms so familiar I could see the actors playing it all out in my head while I was reading).
Still, as much as I love the characters, I think I would have rather seen something a little more Castle. They had a good start with Nikki Heat, I thought. Right away, you could see the love that went into that characterization, and I could just see Castle sorting through all of the hours he'd watched Beckett to bring through her mannerisms and rituals at crime scenes. But then Jameson Rook comes into play, followed by Roach. Even Castle's mother makes a cameo. They're fun characters, yeah. But is Castle really going to just rewrite real people, including himself, into a book? I doubt it. It would be lazy writing. Also, I can't imagine Castle would write a sex scene between a character based on himself and a character based on Beckett and then be able to face her after she's read it. He's gutsy, but he isn't stupid.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heat Wave.