Mandi Schreiner's Reviews > Shadow Touch

Shadow Touch by Erin Kellison

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: pnr, novella
Read on May 30, 2011

Since the day she was born, Ellie has lived with her shadow as a separate entity. This shadow has a mind of its own, always trying to undermine Ellie, embarrass her, and Ellie has lived a secluded life because of it. But in essence, this shadow is Ellie. It is her deepest feelings and ambitions. But Ellie has no control over it. It can move through objects, and speak. It is nude, and has no problem flaunting her body or saying inappropriate things.

Ellie has sought the help of Dr. Cameron Kalamos, who works at the Segue Institute – a leader in researching the magical fae beings that live in another realm, called Shadow. Cam is not prepared though for this shadow, and his feelings are not prepared for Ellie.

I very much enjoy this world Erin Kellison has created in her first two books, Shadow Bound and Shadow Fall. They are a dark, paranormal romantic suspense. In this novella (which can be read as a stand alone) we get a brief glimpse into Ellie whose shadow has in essence disconnected from her. What Cam comes to realize is that her shadow really is Ellie, and eventually Ellie must make a difficult decision. Cam is new to the institute and is ready to prove himself. What he learns is that nothing is easy when it comes to Shadow and magic and what you must always expect the unexpected. I think this is a very unique story and although it is quite short, it is very entertaining.

The romance is very understated in this one. There are some feelings on both sides, but we only see the very beginning of the romance. I also think the resolution with the shadow comes a little too quick and easy. But that being said, this story is different and engaging and it makes me yearn for the next in the series, Shadowman coming out this fall.

Rating: B-
1 like • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Touch.