Thalia's Reviews > Shiver

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Mar 10, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: e-ufh, fanafumjac
Recommended for: Fans of Werewolves/Shapeshifters/Quick-Paced Paranormal Romance
Read from February 29 to March 07, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Read the review on my blog:
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shiver.

Quotes Thalia Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“It is possible to be in love with you just because of who you are.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“As the hours crept by, the afternoon sunlight bleached all the books on the shelves to pale, gilded versions of themselves and warmed the paper and ink inside the covers so that the smell of unread words hung in the air.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“We had this big grill at his house, and I remember, one night he said, 'Sam, tonight you're feeding us,' He showed me how to push on the middle of the steaks to see how done they were, and how to sear them fast on each side to keep the juices in."
"And they were awesome, weren't they?"
"I burned the hell out of them," I said, matter-of-fact. "I'd compare them to charcoal, but charcoal is still sort of edible.”

“What do you eat?"
"Baby bunnies." She narrowed her eyes, so I grinned and said, "Adult bunnies, too. I'm an equal-opportunity bunny-eater.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“So, Grace, how's school?" I asked myself.
Dad nodded, eyes on the baby koala now struggling in the guest's arms.
"Oh, it's fine," I continued, and Dad made a mumbling noise of agreement. I added, "Nothing special, aside from the load of pandas they brought in, and the teachers abandoning us to cannibalistic savages-" I paused to see if I'd caught his attention yet, then pressed on. "The whole building caught fire, then I failed drama, and then sex, sex, sex."
Dad's eyes abruptly focused, and he turned to me and frowned. "What did you say they were teaching you in school?”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Books are more real when you read them outside.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I'd found heaven and grabbed it as tightly as I could, but it was unraveling, an insubstantial thread sliding between my fingers, too fine to hold.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Face flushed, I shook my head and stared at my white-knuckled grip on the bed. Of all my pet peeves, condescending adults were probably at the top of the list.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It's very ugly' I said generously. 'But it looks as though it would laugh at snow. And, if you hit a deer it would hiccup, and keep going.”

“Sensitive," I tried.

Sam translated: "Squishy."

"Creative."

"Dangerously emo."

"Thoughtful."

"Feng shui."

I laughed so hard I snorted. "How do you get feng shui out of 'thoughtful'?"

"You know, because in feng shui, you arrange furniture and plants and stuff in thoughtful ways." Sam shrugged. "To make you calm. Zenlike. Or something. I'm not one hundred percent sure how it all works, besides the thoughtful part.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“There was no sun; there was no light. I was dying. I couldn't remember what the sky looked like. But I didn't die. I was lost to a sea of cold, and then I was reborn into a world of warmth.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I smiled at the stacks, inhaling again. Hundreds of thousands of pages that had never been turned, waiting for me. The shelves were a warm, blond wood, piled with spines of every color. Staff picks were arranged on tables, glossy covers reflecting the light back at me. Behind the little cubby where the cashier sat, ignoring us, stairs covered with rich burgundy carpet led up to the worlds unknown. 'I could just live here,' I said.”
tags: books

Maggie Stiefvater
“I am alone in the world, and yet not alone enough to make each hour holy. I am lowly in this world, and yet not lowly enough for me to be just a thing to you, dark and shrewd. I want my will and I want to go with my will as it moves towards action. And I want, in those silent, somehow faltering times, to be with someone who knows, or else alone. I want to reflect everything about you, and I never want to be too blind or too ancient to keep your profound wavering image with me. I want to unfold. I don't want to be folded anywhere, because there, where I'm folded, I am a lie.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Some days seem to fit together like a stained glass window. A hundred little pieces of different color and mood that, when combined, create a complete picture.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Mercy Falls was all about rumors, and the rumor on Jack was that he got his short fuse from his dad. I didn't know about that. It seemed like you ought to pick the sort of person you would be, no matter what your parents were like.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It was as if I had thought all along I was a complete picture and he had revealed I was a puzzle and had taken me apart and put me back together again.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I remember being intrigued by the idea of school-in-a-box, just-add-water-and-Sam.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Hello, Grace's parents. I'm Grace's boyfriend. Please notice the chaste distance between us. I am very responsible and have never had my tongue in your daughter's mouth.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“It's rude to stare, but the great thing about staring at a sedated person is that they don't know you're doing it.”
tags: funny

Maggie Stiefvater
“I'm trying to make you think I'm a decent person. Telling you I saw you naked while I was another species does not help my case”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Can I ask you a question?"
"You already have."
He paused, considering. "Can I ask you two questions, then?"
"You already have."
Sam groaned and threw one of the small sofa pillows in my direction. It arced through the moonlit room, a blackened projectile, and thumped harmlessly by my head. "So you're a smart-ass, then.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“The world needs more love at first sight.”

02/29/2012 page 1
03/05/2012 page 202
52.0% 2 comments
show 5 hidden updates…

April Hope you're having fun...I loved her take on werewolves! ..and I adored Sam and Grace. It was lighter than what I had been reading before it, so it was a nice change of pace..not so broody:)

Thalia It wasn't really my cup of tea, because some parts just confused me. But I really enjoyed Stiefvater's writing; she's really good, if the story had just been more my taste! (:

Amanda Yancey Excited to read your review on this one.

April Thalia wrote: "It wasn't really my cup of tea, because some parts just confused me. But I really enjoyed Stiefvater's writing; she's really good, if the story had just been more my taste! (:"

Have you read anything else of hers? I did start Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception but, it wasn't what I was looking for so I shelved it for another day:) I do want to read her The Scorpio Races I heard they are fantastic! :) Sorry it wasn't your bag...hmmm maybe the other two will be more your style? Hey...at least it's another one down!

Thalia Yes, I have everything else by her on my TBR shelf! And while I didn't enjoy this one as much as I wanted to, it had nothing to do with her writing itself, so I look forward to picking up other things by her, as well as the rest of this series. (:

Amanda Yancey Yes, the Scorpio Races was well done. I liked that one very much, especially since I am a horse girl.

Thalia Oh good! Amanda, I'm writing my review right now, so it should be up really soon. (:

Amanda Yancey Ok, so I 100% agreed with you on this book. I thought that their relationship went way too fast and yet the pacing of the book was way too slow. The whole sex thing bugged me like it did with you. There were definitely tons of confusing things about the way the werewolf world worked and I also felt like Sam didn't really sound like a real guy. Just a girl's version of a guy if that makes sense.
Yes, and she can string together beautiful sentences, so in that sense she can write pretty lyrical stories, but in my opinion this story does not make sense.
Once again I LOVE your reviews!!!!

Thalia Yeah, Sam sounded like a guy written from a girl's point of view. Which, I mean, he was.

This other reviewer pointed out one of the sentences that Sam said though, and I just had to laugh, because I TOTALLY didn't remember it:
"I was a leaking womb bulging with the promise of conscious thoughts..."

OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT. WHY.
Maybe, just maybe, it would have made sense if Grace had narrated something like that, but if a guy I knew thought things like that about himself, I'd have to be VERY worried.

I hope the next books are better, though! Sometimes I find sequels are better than the first ones, so I'll plow on. (:

Amanda Yancey Yes that is the classic quote people who don't like the books always bring up. It is rather funny and bizarre and yes I totally agree with you if I knew a guy was thinking that I would be VERY worried indeed. Haha.
Ok, let me know how they are because I don't have any interest in reading the rest right now.

Thalia I'd say if you wanted to read it already, then go for it! A lot of people really loved the series, so maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea. Check out other reviews or get it from the library if you want. (:

Renuka I just read this! I felt the exact same way! It was not explained well and it was just too fast.

Thalia Yeah! I recently got the second book from a friend (yay swaps!) so I'm seriously hoping the rest of the series is much better. It's just sad because I heard such great things about Stiefvater. This book just wasn't...explained OR engaging. It was just weird. :/ Do you plan on finishing the series?

April I read this first one..and I think our opinions differed , but I've heard the rest were not as good as the first...so...there they sit on my kindle, with me waiting for someone to tell me they are worth devoting the time. If you read them, I'll be curious to hear your opinion:) I'll finish it someday...