Kathrynn's Reviews > Dagger-Star

Dagger-Star by Elizabeth Vaughan

Jun 28, 08

bookshelves: own, 2008, fiction-fantasy, theme-medieval, reviewed
Read in June, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I loved this author's Chronicles of the Warlords trilogy, but was very disappointed in this book. Per the author's website, this one takes place around the same time period as the Warlords Trilogy with different characters and setting(s). Having just finished this book, the only thing remotely related to the Warlords Trilogy was the drinking of Kavage; otherwise, they are completely unrelated and as for occurring at the same time period...how could that be determined?

This was not a romance.

The spine of the book indicates it is a paranormal romance. It's a fantasy.

I found the main character, Red Gloves, to be too hard, cold and (well) loose. She did mellow out as the book progressed, but I never cared for her character. The connection between the two main characters was missing the emotional chemistry necessary to build a relationship. Josiah's character needed to be stronger (think doormat) and Red Gloves needed to be toned down (she was a mercenary with no inhibitions). As it was, Red Gloves was the one who called all the shots.

There was all this buildup with the "red gloves" and I was very disappointed when that "secret" was finally revealed. This book had zombies, magic (good and bad) and portals, etc. I had a hard time maintaining interest as there was a lot of retelling to new characters scenes that I just read about. Most of the book was geared toward preparing for the final battle. Boring.

One more thing, the dagger-star mark was UNDER her breast and the cover shows it over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dagger-Star.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisiemae (new)

Daisiemae Great review Kathrynn:)