Angela's Reviews > Abarat

Abarat by Clive Barker

Apr 06, 12

bookshelves: i-have-a-lot-of-favorites-okay
Read from March 02 to April 06, 2012

I really liked it, and I think I would have liked it even more if I'd been able to read it all at once. It's really a world you have to immerse yourself in for it to make sense. It definitely doesn't seem like a self-contained book, by which I mean it feels like the first part of a three-part book. This book feels like setup for a conflict in the next two. Which is fine. It's just a weird place to stop at.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abarat.

Quotes Angela Liked

Clive Barker
“He[Tom] read from the Almenak."'The song that the Vigil Snake sings is in fact one immensely long word; the longest in the ancient language of the species. It is so long that an individual can sing it for a lifetime and never come to the end of it.'"
"That sounds like a Kleppism to me," Geneva said. "How would they ever learn it?"
"Good question," said Tom. "Maybe they're born with it, like a migration instinct?"'
"Born with a song,"said Geneva.
Tom smiled. "Yes. Don't you like that idea?"
"Liking it and having it be true aren't the same thing, Tom."
"Huh. Sometimes you need to let things strike your heart and not your head, Geneva.”

Clive Barker
“You'll learn, honey. Love can be the best thing in life. And it can be the worst. The absolute worst.”
tags: love

Clive Barker
“My feet are killing me."
"I knew somebody who had feet like that. They'd walk all over him. Archie Kashanian was his name. He used to wake up with footprints all over his chest, all over his face. It was the death of him, finally.”

Clive Barker
“She's...just a girl, you know. Like most girls: something and nothing.”

Comments (showing 1-1)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Snorkle I'm very interested to see how you feel about this book....