Michelle's Reviews > The Poems of Dylan Thomas

The Poems of Dylan Thomas by Dylan Thomas

Mar 07, 08

bookshelves: poetry
Read in February, 2008

I think I love Dylan Thomas's poems mostly for their intriguing and ever-inviting titles. They tempt you into their world and then you are totally captivated. Like..."Time enough to rot", "We have the fairy tales by heart", "We who are young are old"...He enchants us with his perfect poetry. He turns ordinary moments into word magic. This particular edition (which the pages are mysteriously repeated around page 226?)is great as it includes a preface written by Thomas himself. He explains his reason for writing and it is so enlightening. He was influenced by Mother Goose and nursery rhymes? He "fell in love" with words at a young age and is still "at the mercy of words". Well, he is dead now...But listen as he gives us the secret to all of poetry in this preface. Poetry is enjoyment. "Poetry is what makes me laugh or cry or yawn, what makes my toenails twinkle, what makes me want to do this or that or nothing."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poems of Dylan Thomas.