Joy (joyous reads)'s Reviews > Days Like This

Days Like This by Alison Stewart

Sep 09, 11

Read in September, 2011

Have you ever had a book in your hands that you want to rush reading but you can’t because you’re scared you'll miss a whole lot? Like you can't read fast enough? You just want to keep flipping to the next page because you just HAVE to know what happens next?

Or you just want to stop reading because you feel like you’re about to suffer a coronary?

Well, this book just about did me in.

Three words: Pulse pounding action.

While the world of the future lay in arid, ugly ruins, the community inside the wall lives in prosperity and beauty. The saying, Beauty is only skin deep, rings true - loud and clear in this book. If you find yourself outside the wall, however, you should count yourself lucky – especially if you’re at the ripe age of 13 to 17.

The utopian world built inside the wall only caters to adults; governed by a stronghold faction called The Committee and Blacktroopers, parents were forced, then drugged into giving up the lives of their children all for the sake of reversing the aging process. Can you say vanity?

What happens to the children are nothing short of unspeakable. You’re either harvested for the hormones produced in your pituitary glands or you become a breeder – forced to be impregnated at the age of 13.

I’m big on dystopian because of one reason. I love seeing humans struggle to make choices that will either lead them to survival or to their eventual demise. Days Like This is no different. Adults chose wrongly and became empty husks of their old self – unemotional beings whose dependency to the fountain of youth in a serum led them to give up their own children willingly. And some chose to live in a quasi-freedom outside the wall that enables them to flourish while being hunted all their lives. Tough choices.

This was the gruesome reality for Lily. Her twin brother Daniel just disappeared and had ended up in the harvesting facility, where she, herself had ended up for a brief tenure as well. And as far as she’s concerned, her parents were long gone despite being physically present. Her sister Alice was a candidate for breeding, an unforgiveable act especially in the hands of one leery character.

Coupled with straightforward writing and vivid imagery, Days Like This is relentless. Just when I thought Lily was home free, another obstacle would be thrown along her way. But she was defiant and courageous in her plight.

The possibility of this world ever happening was so believable - all thanks to Ms. Stewart’s credible writing.

The romance in this book is something that I could have gone without. I know, I know, this doesn’t sound like me. But I thought the Luca/Kieran thing was awkward. I guess I thought it was kind of funny how easy it was for Lily to accept the boys’ attention without her feeling, weirded out? After all, she’s been isolated for most of her life, held as a prisoner inside her home. Her reaction to the commune in the cave was more natural. That’s pretty much my only grievance with this book.

Other than that, I enjoyed reading this as much as one could enjoy a nightmarish possibility of the future. It had everything I look for in a good dystopian read – minus the romance element.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Days Like This.

09/09/2011 page 163
53.0% "This book is insane."