Margaretann's Reviews > The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding

The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Brea... by Joan Younger Meek

May 07, 12

bookshelves: baby-and-parenting
Read from May 30 to June 28, 2011

A lot of the information I received when I attended the breastfeeding class offered by my doctor's office was in this book - but this just offered the information in more detail (and this book never once referred to my boobs as a breasturant . . . unlike the class instructor, so that's a good thing).

I think it'll be a good reference guide once my little one arrives and I am learning to BF, when I'm trying to introduce a bottle prior to the end of my maternity leave(while still maintaining my milk supply through pumping), or when I'm experiencing engorgement. Good diagrams and pictures - especially related to the various "holds".

Would agree that the stories that start/end each chapter are super cheesy and after reading the first few decided to skip each one and get to the informational parts of the chapters. Also, I skimmed or didn't read sections that don't apply to me (i.e. breast feeding past 1 year old, breastfeeding multiples, etc.).

Overall, would reccomend to women wanting to breastfeed and if I remember, I'll come back and add some thoughts from the other side when I have actually "hands on" experience.

Update: Nearly 9 months into breastfeeding (and pumping breastmilk for) my daughter I definitely consider myself an old pro. This book was an excellent reference in the early weeks when I was concerned about "doing it right" and if she was getting enough milk. I have since referred to it when dealing with thrush, engorgement and blocked ducts and will report that it has provided very good information! I am now going back to read about nursing over one year as this soon will be applying to me and I look forward to nursing my little one as long as it continues to be mutually beneficial and positive!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding.