Alison's Reviews > The Chronology of Water

2072777
Jun 20, 2011

liked it
Read from May 30 to June 20, 2011

I'm completely torn about this book. In so many ways I loved it: her writing is magnificent--it's that rare prose that completely captivates and makes its own rules. She creates her own language to describe her life and the result is artistic, beautiful, original. Beyond that, while I found her to be one of the strangest people I've ever had the pleasure of reading about, I could really identify with her love of swimming and her passion for the written word. That is to say, despite all the strangeness, I always felt grounded in the story.

But at the same time I found myself wishing she didn't have to be so off the wall all the time. I understood that she was a deeply wounded person, but at times I felt I was reading about someone who went around deeply wounding other people and never felt all that bad about it. Yes, terrible terrible things happened to her, things I can't even begin to truly imagine (though her writing brings you very close), but terrible things happen to nearly everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chronology of Water.

08/19 marked as: read

Elyse I think I related 'most' to your review. This book popped up in my mail today --so I was looking at reviews -again. I agree that 'some' of the writing was beautiful --but I never understood why readers didn't find things that the author (almost bragged about) --disturbing enough to comment on.