Fred's Reviews > Aces Up

Aces Up by Lauren Barnholdt

Jun 16, 11

Read on June 16, 2011

This was an enjoyable quick read, essentially a first person narrative of a smart girl's stupid choices. Those include a crazy fling with poker playing, hooking up with a sketchy guy, and losing touch with her friends, family and the guy she actually likes and deserves. So, put that way, it doesn't sound so funny, but it really is, due almost exclusively to her quirky and characterful narrative voice, which makes her bad decisions seem comprehensible, if not wise, and give her choices a surface plausibility, even if they are kooky and self-destructive in the short, long and medium runs. So, I liked this book, just not loved, loved, loved it like I did Two Way Street, or One Night that Changes Everything (which it was more like, I'd say). Shannon's unlikely friendship with McKenzie, the tough cookie waitress who inducts her into the casino world is an especially charming and unexpected element. So, a fun read, benefiting from lowered expectations.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aces Up.

06/16/2011 page 87
30.0% "Shannon is a little more tightly wound than most Lauren B heroines, but still has that great LB voice that makes her so irresistible. So far, she's def her own worst enemy."

Jessica That's what I thought too! Definitely not her best, but not that bad of a book either

Fred Haha, as usual, I agree with you. Her books are always fun, though. I am having some issues with her new thing of e-publishing stuff one chapter at a time and charging like 3 bucks for it. Sheesh, that adds up! Did you try that Between the Lines book yet? I really think you'd like it and it's only 99 cents. Okay, have a great weekend, hope you're having a good summer so far!

Gertiebee * the little book bee * Great review, Fred! xx