Ron's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

May 31, 2011

bookshelves: christian_life
Read from May 30 to 31, 2011

One sub-genre of Christian literature reports dead-and-back experiences. Because I criticized some as self-serving and frankly false, I receive others for my enlightenment or critique.

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back is distinctly different. Naturally, anyone could make up a story about a four-year-old boy's brush with death and his report on what heaven's like. And this may be one of those. I have no way to judge. But unlike so many others of the genre—so obviously erroneous based on their own report—Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back has convincing simplicity and internal integrity while being consistent with the acknowledged reference scriptures.

There are weak points, of course. Among the many specific scripture references footnoted, several only have a generic "the scripture says." Unfortunately, those are scriptures with which I am not familiar. It sounds like equivocation. Allowance must also be made for the denominational filter through which Todd and Sonja Burpo experienced and reported, but we've all got filters.

The language is folksy and natural, credit I'm sure to Lynn Vincent. (I'm so happy to see competent co-authors come out of the shadows of "ghost writer" to receive the credit they deserve.) The book has a good narrative drama without being melodramatic. The few gaffs—like "like a jib on a sail"—don't detract too much.

One of the best of its type.
21 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.

message 1: by Cade (new)

Cade Walker this is definetly a true story

message 2: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron I think so, too, but have no real basis for judging other than the "inner witness" which others appeal to defending obvious fakes.

Kranti Kumar If u took it as your enlightenment no Problem, But dont see this as Bible base Book. Bible never ever allow this kind of people.

message 4: by Ron (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ron I take it--and all such visitations--to have been visions. You're right, Luke 16:26 tells us a "great chasm" between heaven from hell and 16:31 implies that Jesus is all the visitation the living will get.