Lauren's Reviews > Banana: The Fate of the Fruit That Changed the World

Banana by Dan Koeppel

Jun 11, 09

bookshelves: food-stuff-and-garden, history, nature
Read in June, 2009

This is a very readable, fact-filled book which sheds an eye on how the way we live is destroying everything we need to live the way we do, and how our favorite fruit may not have the history you think it does. Forget Ray Comfort, and learn about the Gros Michel vs the Cavendish. Then think about what the phrase "banana republic" really means. Think about all the chemicals that go into fighting banana diseases -to which bananas are especially susceptible because each banana is essentially a clone of each other banana. Think about the protests against genetically modified fruit and then ignore them because those (probably well-founded) fears do not apply to bananas and if you want to keep having bananas at all, they're going to have to be GMO.
So, yeah, the fruit that (proverbially) caused all the trouble in the Garden of Eden is still causing us trouble today. If you have to eat bananas, just make sure they're organic and fair trade -not for your own benefit, but for the immense benefit of the people growing them and the process overall.

That is my sermon of the day. RAmen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Banana.