Kirsty's Reviews > Of Mice and Men

Sep 25, 09

bookshelves: fiction, classics, favourites
Read in September, 2009

**Re-read 24/09/09**

I enjoyed this book just as much when re-reading as I did the first time around. I flew through the book and wish it had gone on longer. Steinbecks description is so vivid I just wanted to become lost in the story and didn't want it to end. I really need to read more of his work.

**Original Review**

We read this book for GSCE English Lit, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it was helped due to the fact that my English Teacher was amazing and loved what she did - she had accents for all the characters too!!

Anyway, this book gripped me the whole way through. I cared about Lennie from the very beginning of the book, and was rooting for him throughout. The relationship between him and George is written very well and is intriguing. Steinbeck also has a way with words when describing a scene... he describes it in such vivid detail that you almost feel like you're there.

The book has plenty of sad moments, especially towards the end, but there are some laugh out loud moments too. The ending of the book was very moving.

A fantastic read that should be read by more young people. It has a stigma because its required reading in a lot of schools, but this stigma is undeserved.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Mice and Men.

09/24/2009 page 63
show 1 hidden update…

Ruhban Ahmed Hi Kirsty! I've got my English Literature exam on Tuesday. Have you got any good tips for remembering quotes and any good points that may have been missed at school. By the way I completely agree with you when you mention the sad and moving bits of the novel.

Kirsty To be honest, it's been that long since I did my exams that I have no idea what the questions were. I do remember that the questions were great though and gave me lots to write about. I certainly wasn't the best in my english class but I got an A in English Lit and I reckon I have this book to thank for that. If I remember rightly I didn't really use many quotes from the book, I focussed more on the themes. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ruhban Ahmed Kirsty wrote: "To be honest, it's been that long since I did my exams that I have no idea what the questions were. I do remember that the questions were great though and gave me lots to write about. I certainly w..."

Thanks for your help. You've given me a little more confidence in my exam.

Chris Sorensen I was on here today reading other people's thoughts about my all time favorite book and your comment "it has a stigma because its required reading in a lot of schools, but this stigma is undeserved" is SO true. Couldn't have put it better myself. I work in a school setting and see youth pass on this book without thinking twice. It is everything a story should be!

Kirsty It really is! I recommend this book to as many people as I can!