Gemma's Reviews > Boy Gets Girl

Boy Gets Girl by Rebecca Gilman

F_50x66
Mar 07, 08

Read in January, 2003

This play really frustrates me. Gilman chooses an incredibly simplistic view of almost everything she purports to address—stalking, the skewed ways in which one gender perceives another, making life changes not by choice. Stalking, in particular, seems to me a *lot* more complicated than this, with much deeper effects on its object (emotional, not concrete—I suppose she gets the extreme of the concrete down pretty well). She could have solved this by developing Tony earlier, allowing them to spend a little more time together before we understood his instability—that would have allowed us to know Theresa as a character rather than a stalked archetype as well. But Gilman is only exploring ideas, and rather uninteresting ones, rather than telling a story.

But she's a pretty good writer of dialogue. Hence the second star.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Gets Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

April Absolutely agreed. The play started off with Tony and Theresa interacting, but it was lacking. It escalated so quickly that it just missed a lot.

message 2: by Tom (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tom Costello I think if this were a novel then the criticisms might be more in order. The limits of the stage prohibits a fuller development.

April Tom wrote: "I think if this were a novel then the criticisms might be more in order. The limits of the stage prohibits a fuller development."

That's where the idea of minimalism comes in. There are plenty of great plays that are fully developed with possible stage limitations. I found this to be lazy playwrighting. I had really high hopes for this piece... :/