Danigerous's Reviews > The Anatomy of Motive: The FBI's Legendary Mindhunter Explores the Key to Understanding and Catching Violent Criminals

The Anatomy of Motive by John E. Douglas

Nov 04, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: whodunits, real-stories, gathering-dust-on-the-shelf, i-look-smart-when-i-read-these
Read from February 26 to November 04, 2012 — I own a copy

I was really impressed by John Douglas's books (together with Mark Olshaker) 'Mindhunter' and "Journey into Darkness' when I read them years ago. It was interesting to follow his career in the FBI as the first ever criminal profiler as well as his detailed explanation about the motives behind the different crimes he had encountered. This book, however, did not seem to attain the same level of excellence as its predecessors. I found the facts and information to be rather dryly delivered. Maybe another reason was that it didn't offer anything new to me, maybe it was because my literary tastes have slightly changed since I last read something by John and Mark, I'm not sure.

It wasn't a bad read, it's just that it wasn't exactly captivating, and I do realize that it's non-fiction and it cannot offer some mind-blowing fictitious story, but I'm merely speaking from the standpoint of someone who's moderately acquainted with the authors' work. It does present some famous, and not so famous criminals and it offers some insight behind the reasons why they did whatever they had done, but often it doesn't delve as deep into the psychological aspect as I expected.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anatomy of Motive.

02/26 page 107