Yair Bezalel's Reviews > Mythology

Mythology by Edith Hamilton

Jun 06, 11

Read from May 30 to June 06, 2011

An amazing collection and excellent primer to read before diving into the classics themselves. Miss Hamilton gives a sampling of the major (and notable minor) myths of greek and roman (derivative) mythology. The stories themselves are wonderful and are told in a simultaneously simple but profoundly descriptive way (along with hamilton's dry wit every now and again.

The section detailing norse mythology at the end of the collection feels a bit tacked on. It's definitely fascinating but gives no more than a taste for (what I imagine to be) the incredible universe of thor and ragnarok. I would have definitely preferred an additional three hundred pages or even a whole separate volume instead of the sliver/sixth toe version we're given.

All in all, an important and necessary collection for all aspiring writers of fiction or just lovers of epic stories told by some of the greatest minds who ever lived.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mythology.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Burns I remember having to read this book during my school years. I finished it (kicking and screaming) but never appreaciated what it had to offer. Time to revist Edith Hamilton and apologize for my awful behavoir!