Benjamin Uminsky's Reviews > The Street of Crocodiles

The Street of Crocodiles by Bruno Schulz

Jun 07, 11

bookshelves: fantastic-weird-lit, modern-lit
Read from June 03 to 05, 2011

Wow... much less a collection of Schulz's memories and more a wonderous exploration into chaos versus order, the banal versus the fantastic.

The prose was simply beautiful and flowed across the literary canvas like quicksilver. In fact, I would point out that the lyrical and fluid nature of Schulz' prose perfectly accented the core of this meditation... chaos.

I really loved the juxtapositions provided by Schulz, particularly the characters of Jacob (Schulz' father) and Adela (house keeper). Jacob took on the role of chaos bringer and Adela served as guardian of the banal. The passage describing Jacob's facination with birds really drew me in with the metaphors, similies, and artful descriptions. In addition to the beauty of Schulz' chaos, he was able to infuse a particular brand of humor that simply tickled my brain throughout the entire narative.

One other memorable passage entitled "Night of the Great Season" seemed to be something right out of Mussorsky's "Night on Bald Mountain." Oddly wonderous yet bound in the simple mundane setting of a fabric shop. These are the kinds of contrasts that Schulz uses to weave his magic.

So well done... highly recommended!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Street of Crocodiles.

06/04/2011 page 12