Kay Hart's Reviews > My Name is Mina

My Name is Mina by David Almond

May 30, 11

I am a fan of David Almond's writing for children/young adults. He has such a gift for creating interesting stories with elements of magic realism that explore children who don't quite fit in with society's expectations. He makes their take on the world seem so very much more imaginative than the average.

I first came across the character of Mina when reading Skellig and thus when this book was on display at my local library I just had to borrow it. I have not been disappointed and really enjoyed meeting Mina again within the context of her life with her mother as the both come to terms with the loss of a father and husband.

The design of the book adds to the interest and reflect the unusual and creative personality of Mina so well; it enhanced my enjoyment even further.
I don't wish to detail the content of Mina's journal particularly, but there are some wonderful moments of creative writing to be found and perhaps even writing tasks that a parent and a child can explore together.

Mina's affinity with birds, nature and her ever-curious mind are a joy as much as they are a problem for her teacher and some of her neighbourhood adults. It's wonderful to join in her journey through her journal entries - a journal presented to her by her father before his death.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Name is Mina.