Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Unlocked

Mar 24, 13

Read on May 29, 2011

review posted on Demon Lover's Books & More

---SPOILER FREE---

I first heard about this book on twitter. Jane Litte (yes, THE Jane, the one from Dear Author) was saying how wonderful it was. And as I hustled over to allromanceebooks.com to buy it, Jane did the coolest thing ever-she bought 20 copies of the ebook and gifted it to the first 20 responders from twitter. I was lucky enough to be one of those 20.

That being said, Courtney Milan is a new author to me. With the cruel actions of the hero, I honestly thought he'd be hard to like, but Courtney Milan made a believer out of me rather quickly.

The hero, Evan, was a jerk to the heroine, Elaine, during her coming out. He was the typical little boy who pulled the pigtails of the pretty girl he liked. But with him being 19, and Elaine being 17, he was much crueler than just tugging her hair. By page 13 I had tears in my eyes for what had happened to Elaine. Lady Elaine is gorgeous. But, Elaine has a loud laugh. The kind of laugh that reminds me of Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman. Loud, vivacious, and maybe even a snort. Evan began with the laugh. And it spiraled out of control from there. She was taunted and made fun of by everyone. Everyone. She gradually withdrew into herself. And ten years later, when Evan returns from mountaineering on the Continent, he tries to apologize. Watching him gain her trust, watching him teach her to hold her head high, watching her shed the wallflower label with the grace of a ballerina, it was beautiful.

This novella will not be my last by her. I've already checked out her backlist and will be purchasing in a bit.

Anyone who loves a good wallflower romance will love this one.

Anyone who loves to see the hero humbled by love, will want to read this.

Anyone who wants a book that runs the gamut of emotions, will enjoy this book.

And anyone who loves romance will love this book.

How can you not?

25 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unlocked.

05/29/2011 page 6
5.0% "yeah, I'm procrastinating my blog reads...what of it? this one looked great! lol"
05/29/2011 page 13
12.0% "Oh Lord, I'm 13 pages in and heartbroken for Lady Elaine already."
05/29/2011 page 23
21.0% "With all the talk of mountaineering and glaciers, I can't help but picture our hero as Bear Grylls that sexy Man vs Wild"

Lisa I finished this earlier and I loved it! So good for such a short story! Great review :)

Laura the Highland Hussy thanks! I went a bit fangirl on that review, but it was a really great story :)

SheLove2Read I read the Smart Bitches review and immediately bought it. Plan on reading it this weekend!

Laura the Highland Hussy Sherri *SheLuvs2Read* wrote: "I read the Smart Bitches review and immediately bought it. Plan on reading it this weekend!"

Sherri, it's like 85 pages, so it shouldn't take long, and I think that's why I loved it so much-what she did in 85 pages is rare. It was a great novella

Laura the Highland Hussy Jane wrote: "So glad that you enjoyed it. Best .50 c (with the rebate) that I spent."

LOL, thanks Jane :)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Laurie!!!!!!!!! I ended up loving this book! Great review!

SheLove2Read It was a fantastic read.

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick Sherri *SheLuvs2Read* wrote: "It was a fantastic read."

It really was. So much emotion.

Laura the Highland Hussy UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Laurie!!!!!!!!! I ended up loving this book! Great review!"

Yay!! I knew you'd like it!!

Laura the Highland Hussy Sherri *SheLuvs2Read* wrote: "It was a fantastic read."

yes, it really was

Moira Lisa wrote: "I finished this earlier and I loved it! So good for such a short story! Great review :)"

I agree. Sooo much there for so few pages.

Laura the Highland Hussy Moira wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I finished this earlier and I loved it! So good for such a short story! Great review :)"

I agree. Sooo much there for so few pages."

she's amazing

Astrid There hasn't been a Courtney Milan book yet that wasn't fantastic. She's got such depth in her books! Just love her, she's on my auto-buy list.

KatLynne Wonderful review, Laura. She's one of my favorite authors;-)

Laura the Highland Hussy I agree astrid, I am still working my way through her backlist, but that's half the fun, right?
And thanks, katlynne, I can see why. She's awesome.
I met her once and was so starstruck I couldn't think of anything to say. I felt so lame.

KatLynne Laura the Highland Hussy wrote: "I agree astrid, I am still working my way through her backlist, but that's half the fun, right?
And thanks, katlynne, I can see why. She's awesome.
I met her once and was so starstruck I couldn't..."

LOL...I would have felt the same Laura;-) Glad you are enjoying her books;).