Michael's Reviews > The Shadow Rising

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

May 29, 11

Wow...All I can say is wow. 1000 pages of pure awesome. The beginning of The Shadow Rising is a bit slow, but soon picks up pace. Throughout the entire read I was enthralled. This book finally starts giving us in-depth looks at other characters besides Rand al'Thor. We are able to witness much maturity and growth of Egwene, Perrin, and Nynaeve. Faile plays a much bigger role in this book and the romances that Jordan hinted toward in previous books actually come to fruition - and he does it well. Rand picks up a new "buddy" Aviendha, one of the Aiel, and she proves to be an interesting character. The chapters that followed Rand's storyline were much more compelling and interesting than in previous books. Gone are the mystical days of "Rand causes destruction wherever he goes" which are replaced by an actual storyline dominated by action and dialogue. Egwene and Nynaeve learn more about their Aes Sedai powers and the dreamworld they are able to inhabit as they sleep. Throughout the entire 1000 or so pages I felt like I was reading a movie (or several movies), and enjoyed every minute of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Rising.