Eileen Souza's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Nov 19, 12

bookshelves: library, ya, fantasy-scifi, dystopia
Read in June, 2011

Re-read Nov 2012

Wow - what a great book! Ask around if anyone you know has read it, and they probably have. I only recently heard about this book from a friend who's book reviews I trust, but it turns out that both my brother and my best friend have read it, which I'll admit killed my joy somewhat in explaining the concept and how awesome it was.

There's a very slim margin of sci-fi that I tolerate (case in point- I don't even know the difference between sci-fi and fantasy, and the designations within those categories are beyond me, so I use sci-fi for everything) and an even smaller range that I enjoy (The Rowan series by Anne McCaffrey, Eon by Greg Bear, and I was a closet fan of Star Trek: Next Generation, the X-Men cartoons when they weren't cool, and Charmed [yes I just cringed admitting that]) so I generally pass on sci-fi books. However, the premise was really fascinating, and I decided to try it out with my new library card. For the record I'm now 2 for 2 on books borrowed from the library that I must own.

The premise is this: Humans have been fighting with a form of Alien for over a hundred years, and as they expect more invasions, they have begun searching for brilliant commanders to begin training as small children. Once the children are selected they go to the Battle Academy, where they learn to fight space-like battles in zero gravity. These 6-12 year old children are given different games to play which teach them about strategy, and show the teachers exactly what their temperaments are.

Ender's story is a great one, and I don't want to give anything away, but he and the other children are repeatedly tested and challenged and you root your heart out for them. Read it, just trust me.

As an intelligent girl, with a genius brother who everyone loves for his brilliance, but who I love because he's truly gentle and loving, I felt a connection with both Valentine and Ender. I loved his sweetness and quiet strength and reading the story from his perspective. I also really enjoyed the insights that you received from the teachers at the beginning of each chapter, and how they came to play out during that chapter.

I will definitely be picking this one up again!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.