Silky's Reviews > The Secret Magdalene

The Secret Magdalene by Ki Longfellow

U 50x66
Mar 09, 2008

Recommended to Silky by: A friend who made me read its reviews and they were right.
Recommended for: anyone at all, especially someone searching for meaning in this world.
Read in February, 2008

I'm not a Christian so I had no idea as I began this book what I "ought" to think about it. I read it because of its reviews and I am so glad I did. It probably seems to be all about the Bible and Christianity and religion, but it isn't. It's about the teachings of real mystics, people who have transcended this world we think so important and so real, and causes us so much pain. It's about what Jesus Christ probably really taught, and you won't find much of that in your Bible. But for me, it's about a woman who stood behind Jesus, who taught him and inspired him and knew what he knew, only she understood it better. In this book Mary Magdalene is not his wife or his disciple, though she learns from him as he learns from her, she's a philosopher and a teacher and a fully realized human being. As for the writing, well, I can happily lose myself in Moby Dick and Crime and Punishment and The Magic Mountain so I found the language ravishing. It's the kind of language appropriate to such people, rather like the King James version of the Bible. It was poetry and yet full of real life and humor (MM is funny! and so is Jesus!). Anyone who could give a book that's sure to become a classic one star has to be reflecting their own strongly held religious beliefs, not the quality of this book. This book is art. And it could clear away all those cobwebs and half-truths we struggle with in one read. More than one read will do a lot more than that. Recommend this book? I urge you to read it. It's transforming. Oh, and one other thing, it's a great read. Lots of story and action and surprises.
68 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Magdalene.

07/10 marked as: read

message 1: by Rip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rip Roberts Good review, Silky. Bravo.

message 2: by Kerry (last edited Apr 08, 2008 10:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kerry A really good review and you made some really telling points. Especially about the misconception that it's a "Christian" book or Biblical. It's neither. It's about the search for meaning told through a fascinating and deeply informed version of the story of Jesus and Mary Magdalene who are fully evolved people.

message 3: by Brittany B. (new) - added it

Brittany B. This review helped me more than I can say. I am Christian, but I hate being preached to. I bought this thinking it would be an interesting new perspective, perhaps even subversive. But then when I saw the category labels I was really worried that it was preachy Christain Fiction.
Your review was the first one that came up when I searched just now, and you answered my question perfectly. ❤❤ :)