Brianna Soloski's Reviews > Truth

bookshelves: fiction
Read from May 29 to November 27, 2011

Truth ~ Peter Temple ~ 400 pages ~ Amazon
4/5 stars ~ Copy obtained from the publisher

Telling the story of Stephen Villani and his life as head of homicide for the Melbourne, Australia Police Department, Truth takes us through several cases and Villani’s family issues, including his separation from his wife and the disappearance of his youngest daughter. I started this book almost immediately after receiving it, but after finding myself completely confused, I did some research and found out it was the sequel to The Broken Shore. I set Truth aside and read The Broken Shore. The latter was a much better book than the former.

In Truth things were left really open and I was left with a lot of questions upon finishing. Most of the cases the department worked on were never solved and there was never any closure for Stephen with his family. After Lizzie, his daughter, was found, the family just disappeared into oblivion. Not that they’d been a family in the traditional sense of the word for quite a while. Stephen and his wife, Laurie, were on their way to divorce and his kids didn’t have much, if anything, to do with him.

One thing I liked about this book was the glossary in the back. I found myself referencing it when certain terms were used in the book that I’d never heard before. That was about the only thing I liked though.

I never felt any attachment to the characters. I found myself not caring if they got justice for the crimes they were trying to solve. I didn’t root for Stephen to get back together with his wife. I didn’t root for his kids to have a heartfelt reunion with their dad. I found the language to be crass and unnecessary (and I’m really not offended by that sort of thing – if the story requires it, than so be it), but I felt like Temple was using harsh language simply because he could.

It felt like the only emotion in this book was anger, with a little frustration tossed in for good measure. The cops seemed indifferent to everything that was happening, the secondary characters were weak and unhelpful. I would have liked to see at least one case completely wrapped up. I also am of the mind that Stephen should have gone to his wife after Lizzie was found, even though Laurie didn’t want him to. I can’t imagine not going to my family after something like that, regardless of the state of our relationship at the time.

I’d recommend this book to anyone who really enjoys police procedurals. I don’t, but even if I did, I don’t think I would have liked this book anyway.

Disclosure: I received this book for free from the publisher. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated in any way, other than a copy of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Truth.

10/04/2010 page 3
10/25/2010 page 136
34.0% "This book is a sequel to The Broken Shore. Now that I know that, it explains my confusion. Thusly, I'm setting it aside until I read The Broken Shore and can have a better understanding of these characters."
show 10 hidden updates…