Samantha Young's Reviews > Eden

Eden by Keary Taylor

Jun 30, 11

bookshelves: ebooks-i-own, indie, favourite-authors, favourites
Read from June 29 to 30, 2011

I know a book has been a great one for me when I’ve become so fully immersed in the world created that I feel somewhat disorientated when I’m reluctantly pulled back into the real world when the story comes to its inevitable end.
Keary Taylor’s Eden is one such book for me.
I picked it up hoping to get an hour of reading in before I started working and before I knew it hours had flown by and I hadn’t gotten around to my own work. Oops.

Eden isn’t just a great indie novel, Eden is a great novel full stop.

Taylor pulls us into her post-apocalyptic world with easy, addictive prose, an intriguing and complex narrator and heroine, Eve, and a stark, disquieting landscape where out of control technology has become a virus, and a threat to the survival of the human race.
The character development is well thought out and authentic. Not only did I love getting to know Eve as she got to know herself, but this is one of those books where the love triangle is incredibly well-written, with no clear answer – although, note that I was extremely happy with the ending :-)
From the moment the book takes off I liked Eve. Even though she couldn’t feel the true depth of emotion, she was still a take charge, powerful heroine who put the lives of others before her own. The story only grew more fantastic as Eve tapped into her emotions and unravelled the mystery of who she is. She really develops into a brilliant character; a character you actually feel real emotion for, and one that I never found myself being frustrated around because her conflict was so clear and true.
Moreover, I loved that the two male heroes were vastly different from one another. West is close to Eve’s age, more impulsive, more mysterious and secretive, but cares wholeheartedly for Eve. Just as hot as West is Avian. Avian is mature, patient and understanding. His calm loyalty and steadfastness was attractive and refreshing. It was no wonder Eve had such difficulty choosing between the two. Who wouldn’t?

I loved the plot; it was full and unwavering, taking us from the rustic, simplistic existence of Eden, to the dry heat of the desert, to the alien (well it’s alien to Eve) landscape of new Los Angeles. It kept me glued to the pages. I just absolutely love the world Taylor has created. It’s just so very, very cool.
Not to mention you get a whole lot of book for your money!
Now on my favourites shelf.

Eden gets my rarely given…

Ten Explosive Stars!
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eden.

06/30/2011

Maria I just bought this and Hollowland and Anathema!! Can't wait to hear what ya think of it. It sounds good:)

Samantha Young I'm looking forward to this one, sounds good. I'll let you know how it goes. Can't wait to hear what you think of Anathema? The premise sounds good.

message 3: by Dee (new) - added it

Dee Bibb Thanks for the rec....sounds like an awesome read!!

Samantha Young No probs :-) And it really is!

Shelley (Bella) Added. Thanks again. Not my normal genre but you haven't steered me wrong yet. Lol. Also looking forward to Anathema and Hollowland. Really, really liking Amanda'a writing. Thanks again for introducing her to me. ;)

Samantha Young Oh you're so welcome, Amanda is such a great writer.
Hope you enjoy Eden too :-)