Foxfire's Reviews > Comanche Moon

Comanche Moon by Catherine Anderson

U 50x66
May 29, 2011

Great story. I loved the richness of historical detail and the authentic feel of the period. The hatred and atrocities between whites and Indians are evenly depicted, not biased toward either side. Despite the brutality, there are excellent flashes of humor. The leading characters are credible and engaging.

I particularly liked the way Lorraine learns to forgive Red Buffalo, one of the secondary characters. Gave me a true sense of redemption.

The only bit I disliked was a section a little after halfway, when Amy has been kidnapped and Lorraine seeks out Hunter, asking him to rescue Amy. He does, but Lorraine runs from him again, despite having promised to become his woman. Lorraine leaves because the deceitful Red Buffalo tells her that Hunter set up the kidnapping with the express purpose of luring her back.

I found it hard to believe that Lorraine, who is already in love with Hunter, would believe someone else over him, particularly as that someone tried to kill her before. It also annoyed me that Lorraine didn't honor her promise to stay with Hunter - made her look a bit flighty and unreliable, and selfish as she forced Amy to be part of the escape despite the younger girl's physical injuries. Further, it seemed too repetitive for Lorraine to be running away from Hunter for a second time, and then it seemed too sudden a change of heart when she a little later accepted her love for him.

I felt the story would have worked better if Lorraine had kept her promise and stayed with Hunter at that point. Without this problem it would have been five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Comanche Moon.