Kristine's Reviews > The Three Weissmanns of Westport

The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine

May 29, 11

Read in May, 2011

This is a comedy of domestic proportions -- at least, a good portion of this quick read elicited my inner smile and my outer laugh-out-loud guffaws; the last third proved somewhat less smile-worthy as the author began wrapping up the plot lines. Don't misunderstand me. The mood might dampen a bit at moments, but the author clearly does not want to leave readers without a number of upbeat, even if improbable, endings. This is a clever, character-centric read, but if you don't connect to the humor, this read would probably fall quite flat.
On the one hand, readers without the background to appreciate the literary references to Dickens, Dickenson, Austen and the like need have no fear. There is plenty of simple, human drama for an adult reader to follow and possibly enjoy. On the other hand, placing too much expectation on the comparison to Sense and Sensibility might disappoint.
While I do believe that writing with humor is an underrated skill, it is a bit risky; reading reactions are so personal and unpredictable. Still, I think many readers, especially older female readers, could find this book attention-grabbing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Weissmanns of Westport.