Rebecca's Reviews > Out of Oz

Out of Oz by Gregory Maguire

Nov 16, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, witches-wizards-and-magic, anthropomorphic-animals, series-oz
Read from November 05 to 16, 2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Out of Oz.

Quotes Rebecca Liked

Gregory Maguire
“I may not know how to fly but I know how to read, and that's almost the same thing.”

Gregory Maguire
“Maybe that's what growing up means, in the end - you go far enough in the direction of - somewhere - and you realise that you've neutered the capacity of the term home to mean anything. [...] We don't get an endless number of orbits away from the place where meaning first arises, that treasure-house of first experiences. What we learn, instead, is that our adventures secure us in our isolation. Experience revokes our licence to return to simpler times. Sooner or later, there's no place remotely like home.”

Gregory Maguire
“It appears history is going to keep happening, despite our hopes for retirement.”

Gregory Maguire
“They'd never been lovers, of course, not in the physical sense. But they'd been lovers as most of us manage, loving through expressions and gestures and the palm set softly upon the bruise at the necessary moment. Lovers by inclination rather than by lust. Lovers, that is, by love.”

11/07/2011 page 64