Holly's Reviews > The Pledge

The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

Aug 09, 14

bookshelves: dystopia, series, witches_magic, fantasy
Read from December 27 to 31, 2011, read count: 1

I really enjoy the Body Finder series, so I figured Kimberly Derting wouldn't lead me astray with her new series. Even so, I was a bit reluctant to start it because A) I don't need another series on my plate and B) it's a dystopia and they've been vastly overused recently. So I was leery.

I should have trusted my instincts. Derting weaves a wonderful story full of action and emotion. Charlie is that girl we all want to be friends with because she's fiercely loyal and smart, yet impulsive and caring. All the characters were amazing, from little Angelina to Max and Brook. Once I got into the story about 50 pages or so, I found it impossible to put down. Which was bad, considering I had things to do.

The story is simple, yet complex. There are all kinds of intricate ties that bind one thing to another in ways you never expected. Yet the overall story is so simple. You could actually see it being possible, not like some stories where you really have to put up with the author's imagination. Does that make any sense?

Charlie is in danger because she has the ability to understand every language she hears in a world where classes are divided by language. Breaking that law is punished by death. Other than that, Charlie's life is fairly normal. Her family runs a restaurant and she has a younger sister that she watches out for. But things change when Charlie meets Max. He's different, unlike anyone she's ever seen before. When Max starts talking in a language Charlie's never heard before, she has more questions than answers. Who is Max and what does he want with her?

It was such a good story. Not normally what I would recommend, but it definitely made for a fabulous read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pledge.

Quotes Holly Liked

Kimberly Derting
“I loved voices, I always had. Words held meaning, but voices held emotion.”
Kimberly Derting, The Pledge