Alex's Reviews > The Great Crash of 1929

The Great Crash of 1929 by John Kenneth Galbraith

M_50x66
May 29, 11

Read in May, 2011

I'd say there are two obvious things you could include in a book about the crash. The first is to detail all the crazy anecdotes about farmers becoming millionaires and people jumping out of Wall Street windows, etc, all that sensationalist stuff. The second is to actually give you an understanding of why the crash happened. Possibly you could have both in the same book. But it felt to me that this book couldn't really decide which of those things it wanted to achieve, and kind of brushed quickly over both. It doesn't go into enough detail to really give any deep understanding of the economic issues underlying the crash. At the same time, there's not much focus on the gory details. Thus it didn't really do much for me. I have to say, however, that it is well written and carefully put together - so as an introductory book on the crash it wouldn't be bad - but it was lacking anything to really make it stand out for me.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Crash of 1929.