Courtney Norman's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

F 50x66
May 29, 2011

I've read some previous reviews on this book, and honestly, you either love it or you hate it. Put simply, you either identify with the main character or you don't. I read this book when I was seventeen years old, and at that time, I was a senior in high school on my way to college and still trying to find myself. At that time, I identified strongly with the main character in a multitude of ways. I felt I was at just the right point in my life to make a connection with Holden. Had I read it any younger, I may not have understood some of the hardships he was going through. If I read it today, I would not relate with Holden, but I would remember a time of my life when I did. I am glad that I read it when I did. I actually read it for AP English and did a project on it. I fell in love with this book then. I was so tired of reading the classical books like Frankenstein. Although I enjoyed the deeper meaning of those books, it was nice to finally read something real that I could actually relate to. This book helped me see that good books usually always have a character that you can relate to, and I started paying closer attention to the characters in books I read after this book. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone going through a period of self-discovery during their teenage years, even college years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.