Lilyxjames's Reviews > Abandon

Abandon by Meg Cabot

Jun 04, 11

Read from May 29 to June 04, 2011 — I own a copy

"I might look like a honey-eyed schoolgirl on the outside, in my skirt with its regulation four-inches-above-the-knee hem. But I'll rip those tassels off your shoes, old man. Just try Googling me."

Oh dear, I loved this book so much. As a huge The Mediator fan, I have been looking forward to it since Meg Cabot announced she would be writing another paranormal series. And when she said it would be retelling of the myth of Persephone, I was counting days to the release day. As expected, she did it again. She nailed it brilliantly.

I understand why some people didn't like this book. With its dark atmosphere, it's very different from everything Meg Cabot has written. In her books, we are usually introduced to a strong and likeable main heroine with typical girly problems who has always a sarcastic remark in hand and makes us laugh a lot. Pierce is definitely not one of them. You can tell from the very start that she's been through a lot, she is quite an outsider despite being beautiful, not really stupid and having a famous and rich dad. Since she...well, died, she lost the only friend she'd ever had and everyone thinks she's crazy. She looks at the world with these sad, tragic eyes and doesn't really enjoy her life, she hides from it. Then there's John, the hot and mysterious keeper of the Underworld she's trying to escape from. Too bad he keeps popping up when she most needs him and endangering everyone who lays a finger on her. That leaves her torn between feelings of fear and some kind of affection for him, and she might be starting to feel something more...

It's so hard to describe this book because so many things were happening there and yet, when I think about it, not really. The half of the book was told in flashbacks. I thought it would be focused on the love story but it wasn't. The first book in the series was about getting to know Pierce, finding out what actually happened to her that made her the way she was... about getting to know lots of interesting characters - Pierce'family, people from her previous life, people she encounters on Isla Huesos... Pierce's famous father was one of my favourite characters, I found him incredibly funny with all his yelling and "Do you know who I am?!" attitude. There may not have been many Pierce & John scenes but when these two were together, my heart beat so fast! Their chemistry was electrifying.

I was very surprised at the direction this book took. I consider Meg's books quite predictable - it was never particularly difficult to guess who the villain was going to be. Not in this case. I had no idea who the bad guy was until it was revealed in the penultimate chapter.

To sum things up, I NEED 2ND BOOK, LIKE, NOW!!! I am very glad that bad reviews didn't influence my decision to read this novel. I'd say it's one of the best books Meg's ever written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abandon.

Quotes Lilyxjames Liked

Meg Cabot
“Why would John bother using windows or doors like a normal person? Why would he bother to say hello? Just poof. Crunch. Bye.”

“Don't cry."
"How can I not?" I asked him. "You just said you loved me."
"Well, why else did you think all of this was happening?" He set the book aside to wrap his arms around me. "The Furies wouldn't be trying to kill you if I didn't love you."
"I didn't know," I said. Tears were trickling down my cheeks, but I did nothing to try to stop them. His shirt was absorving most of them. "You never said anything about it. Every time I saw you, you just acted so... wild."
"How was I supposed to act?" he asked. "You kept doing things like throwing tea in my face.”

Meg Cabot
“You didn't," John said, stepping from the shadows as he clapped for me, "even hit your head this time.”

Meg Cabot
“Honey, some boys stopped by to see you. They had wood.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Karina Soler I agree with you 100%!! Couldn't have described it better myself!