Lisa Elizabeth's Reviews > Heartless

Heartless by Gail Carriger

My favourite book in the series. Brilliant!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartless.

Quotes Lisa Liked

“I am entirely capable."
"Of what, waddling up to someone and ruthlessly bumping into them?”

Gail Carriger
“...you have been fraternizing with warewolves overmuch! Military men can be terribly bad for one's verbal concatenation!”

Gail Carriger
“Lady Maccon cogitated. She would like to encourage this new spirit of social-mindedness. If Felicity needed anything in her life, it was a cause. Then she might stop nitpicking everyone else.”

Gail Carriger
“Lord Maccon believed that if his trousers were on his legs, and something else was on his torso, he was dressed. The less done after that, the better. His wife had been startled to find that in the summertime, he actually went around their room barefoot! Once -- and only once, mind you -- he even attempted to join her for tea in such a state. Impossible man. Alexia put a stop to that posthaste.”

Gail Carriger
“Oh, dear me, no. Then I should be known as that vampire with all the cats.”

Gail Carriger
“Madame Lefoux acted as midwife. In her scientific way, she was unexpectedly adept at the job. When the infant finally appeared, she held it up for Alexia to see, rather proudly, as though she'd done all the hard work herself. 'Goodness,' said an exhausted Lady Maccon, 'are babies customarily that repulsive looking?”

Gail Carriger
“Which was why, some six hours later, Alexia Maccon's daughter was born inside the head of an octomaton in the presence of her husband, a comatose werewolf dandy, and a French inventor.”

Gail Carriger
“As with most things in life, Lady Maccon preferred the civilized exterior to the dark underbelly (with the exception of pork products, of course.)”

Gail Carriger
“Oh, Professor Lyall, are you making a funny? It doesn’t suit you.”
The sandy-haired Beta gave Lady Maccon a dour look. “I am exploring new personality avenues.”
“Well, stop it.”
“Yes, my lady.”

Gail Carriger
“Lord Maccon, might we have words on the proper tying of a cravat? For my sanity’s sake?
Lord Maccon was nonplussed. Professor Lyall, on the other hand, was pained. “I do what I can.” Lord Akeldama looked at him, pity in his eyes. “You are a brave man.”

Gail Carriger
“At such close range, even she could hit a vampire full force in the shoulder, surprising him considerably. He paused in his attack. “Well, my word! You can’t threaten me, you’re pregnant!”

Gail Carriger
“Felicity grimaced in agreement. “No, you are perfectly correct. I did not realize how vital the approbation of one’s butler is in allowing for nocturnal autonomy.”

Gail Carriger
“Alexia had found pregnancy relatively manageable, up to a point. That point having been some three weeks ago, at which juncture her natural reserves of control gave way to sentimentality. Only yesterday she had ended breakfast sobbing over the fried eggs because they looked at her funny. The pack had spent a good half hour trying to find a way to pacify her. Her husband was so worried he looked to start crying himself.”

“I miss him, my lady.”
“Well, he is now living adjacent. You can hardly miss him all that much.”
“True. But we are no longer compatible—I am a werewolf; he is a vampire.”
“So?”
“So we cannot dance the same dance we used to.”
Biffy was so sweet when he tried to be circumspect. Alexia shook her head at him.
“Biffy, and I mean this in the kindest way possible: then you should change the music.”
“Very good, my lady.”

Gail Carriger
“Spin the parasol three times and repeat after me: I shield in the name of fashion. I accessorize for one and all. Pursuit of truth is my passion. This I vow by the great parasol.”

Gail Carriger
“Past persons of Scottishness in contact with mastermind of supernatural persuasion in London, aka Agent Doom.’
Floote moved on to the third bit of paper.
“ ‘Lady K says Agent Doom assisted depraved Plan of Action. May have all been his idea.’
Moving on to the last one, he read out, "Summer permits Scots to expose more knee than lady of refinement should have to withstand. Hairmuffs much admired. Yours etc., Puff Bonnet.”

Gail Carriger
“The Gamma paused. “You have a crazed werewolf in your wine cellar?”
“You can think of a better place to stash him?”
“What about the wine?”

Gail Carriger
“As to your sister, she is quite a peach, is she not? You have been hiding her from me.”
Lady Maccon would not be goaded. “Really, Channing, she is practically”—she paused to do some calculations—“one-twentieth your age. Or worse. Don’t you want some maturity in your life?”
“Good God, no!”
“Well, how about some human decency?”
“Now you’re just being insulting.” Alexia huffed in amusement.
Channing raised blond eyebrows at her, handsome devil that he was. “Ah, but this is what I enjoy so much about immortality. The decades may pass for me, but the ladies, well, they will keep coming along all young and beautiful, now, won’t they?”
“Channing, someone should lock you away.”
“Now, Lady Maccon, that transpires tomorrow night, remember?”

Gail Carriger
“The Pantechnicon stored and distributed a good deal of furniture as well. The very idea of a lady of good breeding visiting such a place. There would be tables lying about, on their sides, naked! Not to mention flaccid dirigibles! Alexia shuddered at the very idea.”

“Lady Maccon.”
“By George, Boots! How the deuce can you possibly tell that there is Lady Maccon?” queried the other top-hated gentleman.
“Who else would be standing in the middle of a street on full-moon night with a raging ruddy fire behind her, waving a parasol about?”
“Good point, good point.”

Gail Carriger
“Lord Macon deposited his wife into a chair and then knelt next to her, clutching one of her hands. "Tell me truthfully - how are you feeling?"

Alexia took a breath. "Truthfully? I sometimes wonder if I, like Madame Lefoux, should affect masculine dress."

"Gracious me, why?"

"You mean aside from the issue of greater mobility?"

"My love, I don't think that's currently the result of your clothing."

"Indeed, I mean after the baby."

"I still don't see why should want to."

"Oh no? I dare you to spend a week in a corset, long skirts and a bustle."

"How do you know I haven't?”

Gail Carriger
“Lord Akeldama sighed. 'You lovebirds, how will I endure such flirtations constantly in my company? How déclassé, Lord Maccon, to love your own wife.”