Tocotin's Reviews > The Story of the Treasure Seekers

May 29, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: 19th-century, ebooks, for-children
Read in May, 2011

The "Five Children and It" trilogy is among my favorite childhood books, so before rereading them I decided to try this one. I have to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as I expected, probably because it has no magic at all and the characters of the children seem a bit too stereotypical - the eldest sister who acts as mother to her orphaned siblings, the sensitive poet, the brave and chivalrous boys, and so on. All right, it's not the author's fault that she didn't include supernatural elements, and that all the efforts of the children to restore "the fallen fortunes of the house of Bastables" are of the most practical kind, but I still think that there was way too much moralizing, forced cutesy (which makes this book appear more dated than the Psammead series, in my opinion), consciously overplayed misogyny (the narrator is a boy), and quite a bit of racial prejudice as well (the character of Mr Rosenberg, and also the stunning words of the "Indian uncle" - if you read this you know what I'm talking about) for my taste. The ending was also a moral lesson, and on the heavy side. What I liked was the way how the narrator tries to conceal his identity, but constantly reveals it, not only through the (very skillfully done) switches between first and third person, but also by praising his own actions when pretending not to - funny and interesting.
I don't know if I'm going to try "The Wouldbegoods" however. Maybe I'll go straight to the Psammead series.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of the Treasure Seekers.