Tony's Reviews > Tiassa

Tiassa by Steven Brust

May 29, 2011

Read from May 28 to 29, 2011 — I own a copy

I was disappointed at the end of this book. Only because I was hoping for some dialogue with Lady Teldra. That is it. That is the most critical I can be about a Vlad book.

I should add at this point that I have loved every single Vlad book and will tell anyone stupid enough to mention fantasy books near me that Steven Brust is one of the best and yet under-rated authors around. There is just something about the way he writes that get into my head almost without me reading. I am not a fast reader and yet it took me only a day to read this book.

If you have not read any Vlad books then jumping straight into this one will probably confuse you and leave you wondering why much of the back story was just left hanging there. It wasn't, it relates back to previous books. As usual this book involves convoluted plots (or the illusion of them) and cunning plans. Think Ocean's Eleven with pointy things and magic.

I didn't see the end coming, the plot and characters make sense, and the narrative style gets me every time.

I would recommend that anyone new to Brust starts with Jhereg or if they can get the first three books as Taltos the Assassin. If you have read the previous Vlad books and enjoyed them, then you are in for another treat. I now have the urge to start reading the whole series again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tiassa.