Stephanie's Reviews > Nobody's Baby But Mine

Nobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jun 02, 11

Read from May 28 to 31, 2011

For a book with such an unappealing start this story and its characters really wound their way into my heart. Our characters are Cal & Jane, he's a CS football player who is afraid of getting older and dates women too young for him, and she is a physicist who yearns for a child of her own. As with most SEP story-lines there are painful underlying issues behind character motivations and in Jane's case this drives her to trick Cal into impregnating her which I consider morally reprehensible, but serves to fuel a hasty sham marriage as well as an enforced sabbatical together in the NC mountains. It is then we meet Cal's irascible granny, Annie, and his parents who are struggling with their own issues.

As often with these SEP books I found myself really drawn to the secondary characters and their subplots, though Cal & Jane's story only got better and not worse, throughout this book. There were many humorous moments in this plus plenty of witty dialog which I really liked that kept this story both interesting and fresh, too.

Grade: B

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobody's Baby But Mine.