Lavanya (Anya) Nara's Reviews > The Night Circus

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

F 50x66
Jun 02, 11

bookshelves: arc-or-pre-release, personal
Recommended for: people who liek a touch of supernatural with very good, sophisticated prose
Read from May 28 to June 03, 2011

This was fantastic. The imagery is unbelievable, passages I had to read over and over again, not because the language was too wordy but because there was just so much in it and I wanted the whole view. I kept thinking she couldn't top a scenario she had built whether it was aspects of the circus or the dinners or just anything, but the last scene, the culmination was so amazing. It's not boring either; some authors drone on and on with imagery and describing setting, but in this book, the circus IS the most intriguing character. It's got a life and personality and all you want is to know as read as much as you can about it. That last scene with (view spoiler) I had to stop and just sit there, reveling in the pictures Morgenstern created in my mind.

I read this book like I was watching a movie and I really, really hope, since the ARC mentioned that Summit has already picked up the rights to the book, four months before it's release, that they do justice. It is stunning.

The whole set up of the book is complex and involving, much like the plot. It reminded me a lot of The Prestige, what with the non linear narration and those wonderful second-person passages that split up the book. It's like The Prestige with a love story but the love story isn't your usual one and in the end, is woven so much into the plot that it is inseparable from it. I won't go into the details of the plot since you can find a summary easily and well, it's not really easy to summarize.

I love what Morgenstern does with the characters and at times, the story does go to a dark places. The characters' actions, even the main leads, are not without consequences and they are not always pleasant.

This isn't a fast book; meaning that the suspense and mystery, though taught, is told almost languidly and requires you to keep up. You have to actively read this book, paying attention to the dates at the beginning of each section. The ending is also a little non-traditional; it's not your typical big band climax. I did find it satisfying though(view spoiler)

I will definitely have to read this book again to grasp the details and many, many nuances I missed the first time and probably a lot of the hints that tie the plot together even more; I cannot WAIT to do so.
24 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Circus.

06/01/2011 page 233
58.0% "The imagery is so rich. It's going to be a beautiful movie."

Karen I agree! I also reread many parts so as to enjoy it even longer :)