Claudia's Reviews > Major Pettigrew's Last Stand

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson

Jun 08, 2011

it was ok
Read from May 28 to June 07, 2011

One of the more frustrating books I have ever read. Some good writing, but with terrible characters and dodgy plotting--an infuriating combination.

The author can turn a nice phrase. But, the Major excepted, the characters are terrible. I know so little about Mrs. Ali, which is a shame; she seemed like she must have been a hell of a lady.

The son, Roger, is particularly weak; he's a complete cartoon. Ooh, a shallow young man, who condescends to and fails to understand his dad? Really? Let me guess: Does he work in finance? Why, yes. Is he self-absorbed, ambitious but not very bright, and tactless? Check, check, check. Does he favor inappropriately flashy clothes and dumb, easily mockable modern decor? Of course he does. I shouldn't be able to predict every single aspect of a character's behavior, but I was.

There were similar problems with the plot: There were several scenes where I thought, "Oh, BS. The author has no idea about this." A lot of the gun stuff, specifically, and people's behavior at a hunt, was simply not credible.

It took me a while to finish this, because I kept thinking, "Oh, I should read more of that, but I don't wanna." After a while, I'd get brave and pick it up, and sure enough soon I'd be chuckling or saying, "Oh, that's nice!" to a specific line. But boy, it felt long.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Major Pettigrew's Last Stand.

Cindy Hoobler I find this whole line of thought depressingly dumb. It's a beautiful book filled with great characters. If you are too stupid to like it, can't you have the grace to be quiet about it?

message 2: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Gaeta1 wrote: "You're right--how foolish of me to judge something by half a century's worth of experience. Go play somewhere else."

haha - you tell her, Gaeta! I couldn't even finish this POS. Guess I'm even more stupid then you :O

message 3: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Cindy, 2 years later, but wow! What a snarky, rude comment! Goodreads is around so we can read other people's opinions about books, not judgments on their intelligence. I personally found this particular book to be rather predictable and somewhat boring, but not altogether bad by any means. Either way, I enjoy hearing what others have to say. Unfortunately, I ran across your comment and it turned my enjoyment sour. Not classy little missy.

Heather @Rachael I really agree! I really enjoyed the book but what a snide comment to make! Some people have no respect!

Elizabeth Misitano This review is completely accurate.

Narelle I also completely agree with Claudia's review. Up until this point I was quite impressed by the level-headed responses from most people in the comments at Goodreads. @Cindy - Not everyone is going to like a book, and while you are perfectly allowed to disagree with a review, it really is not cool to call the reviewer stupid.

Susan I guess you didn't read until the end, he did come down off his high horse.