Mme. Bookling ~'s Reviews > One Hundred Years of Solitude

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

119789
Jul 31, 07

Read in June, 2007

I started this book when I went to Europe for the first time, so Marquez accompanied me throughout France and Italy - and he was the truest of companions, offering me the most magical other-world. I love that One Hundred Years of Solitude made me feel just that - in delicious solitude.

This was a very stretching and very rewarding experience in literature for me because I usually cling like the dickens to plot line, names, and detailed family history - usually assuming that the author has included this for a reason. But, if you have read this - then you KNOW that you cannot possibly succeed at your initial reading if you insist on keeping all of the Aureliano's and Jose Buendia's straight. I tried desperately at first to do this, but found myself falling into the author's drippy language more and more - thereby loosening my type-A firm hold on the details; I do believe this is Marquez's purpose.

Marquez made me feel like I have never read anything before...at least nothing quite like this. I look forward to more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Jessica so what of his are you moving onto next?