Dustin Gaughran's Reviews > Flight of the Intruder

Flight of the Intruder by Stephen Coonts

Jun 29, 2011

Easily one of my favorite novels. I'm a naval aviation fan boy as it is, but this book was written by a man that actually lived what he wrote about, (much like Ian Flemming), and it shows. The material is so well sourced and written that it's easy to follow, and the explanations for the technical aspects of the aircraft, carrier life, and tactics are easy for anyone to follow. As a pilot, I enjoyed being able to recognize a lot of the technical aspects as well, but that was really just for me. The story is a great one about a man that has a job to do, in spite of the pointlessness of it all. He gets tired of not risking his life, but risking his life for nothing, and finally decides to do something about. It perfectly expresses what I'm sure a lot of other soldiers in Vietnam felt, but using creative liberty to take it a little farther than most responsible soldiers would. The movie does this book no justice. Avoid it at all costs. But definitely read the book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flight of the Intruder.