Colin's Reviews > Silent Spring

Silent Spring by Rachel Carson

May 28, 2011

Read in May, 2011

Being the 'environmentalist' that I am, I had of course heard of this book for years. Fortunately, the opportunity to read it came to me: it was assigned reading for a the IPM (integrated pest management) class I'm still currently taking. And yes, it was one of the most discouraging books I have ever read. To know just how deeply and completely the world (in 1962, even!) has been soiled by agrichemicals is a very rude awakening, yet I'd rather be cured of my ignorance in this and all . . . ok, most . . . areas of life. Yes, I know there have been rebuttals to some of Carson's claims, but if even half of what is written in this volume of her's is true, we as humans have much to be ashamed of regarding our pursuit of a blemish - free apple.

I have yet to totally free myself of the notion that we can/should live in a totally chemical - free world (I am no sub - Saharan African mother who has lost half of my 8 children to malaria), but I also think that this most disturbing of issues is one that deserves serious attention. My IPM class has shed significant light on how much everyday logic is both applicable and ignored in not only agrichemical use, but of course, in all things. A must - read that I am glad to finally have read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent Spring.