Rosa's Reviews > Earthseed

Earthseed by Pamela Sargent

May 31, 11

liked it
Read from May 28 to 31, 2011

Entertainment Weekly included this book in their "the next Hunger Games?" list (popular YA fantasy/sci fi books that have been optioned into movies), so I was intrigued. I thought Earthseed was really good for maybe 3/4 of the way, to where I had a hard time putting it down and was already bossing the husband to get ready to include it on his assigned-by-me reading list. But towards the end of the book, the plot machinations and even the myriad interpersonal/intergroup dynamics (which I usually love beyond all measure, the whole X-Men thing of how a disparate group meshes together) start dragging everything down, and I was more bored than anything and finishing-just-to-be-done. Too much action movie type stuff for my taste (boring fight/stealth sequences, etc.), and more importantly, for all the portrayals of interpersonal relationships, I feel like there's very little character development, even where the main character is concerned. I don't mean that no one changes or evolves, but that we still don't learn that much more from central characters aside from broad brushstrokes and immediate details. Also, I found all the Zoheret/Ship stuff more boring than I think I was meant to... I'm on the fence about whether to check out the sequel - the few pages included at the end of my copy of Earthseed piqued my interest, but I see some reviewers describing it as "boring", and since I was already bored by this book, which is supposed to be the good one, I guess I'll just wait until I'm truly desperate for books to read... (BTW I was rather surprised by the all the teens having sex in this book, like without even the pretense of love or procreation - I guess the '80s were a lot less conservative than we are led to believe!)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Earthseed.